Health & Safety Policy
4.1 General Statement
4.1.1 Injury Prevention is our commitment to health and safety at the Group. It is our core value and part of our way of life and applies to everything we do. Its purpose is to ensure the health and safety of all our employees, our customers and others affected by our businesses.
4.1.2 We believe that:
- all injuries are preventable; and
- our goal is zero injuries
Injury Prevention is the responsibility of every employee and working safely is a condition of employment. Managing Directors, Group Directors, Chief Operating Officers, Chief Executive Officers and Presidents must ensure that all their staff are safe at all times by ensuring:
- our Injury Prevention processes are properly organised and appropriately resourced;
- staff are given information, instruction and training on risk assessment and Injury Prevention;
- there is full compliance with Health and Safety laws and Group policies on Health and Safety; and
- performance targets are set for continual improvement in Injury Prevention.
4.3 Monitoring and Reporting
We will monitor progress on Injury Prevention in all our operations and will conduct periodic audits to assess performance. In addition:
- The Executive Safety Committee will receive and review a report from each of the Divisions at its monthly meetings.
- All serious incidents will be reported promptly to our Board of Directors and to the Executive Management Board and reviewed for future Injury Prevention actions.
Remember: Injury Prevention - 'If you cannot do it safely, don't do it'.
4.4 Injury Prevention Principles
Prevent injury to myself and to others.
Be aware of any hazardous condition or practice that may cause injury to people or damage to property or the environment. Use your Injury Prevention Handbook to record and report.
Perform all necessary safety checks. Risk assess my work area and the job before I do any work.
Speak to your supervisor before you start work if you are unsure.
Follow all safety procedures, signs and instructions.
If you do not understand, speak to your supervisor before you start work.
Keep my work area clean and tidy at all times.
Untidy areas could cause injury to you or to your colleagues and waste time and energy.
Wear my protective clothing and equipment as required.
Keep it in good condition, wear it correctly and ask for a replacement if it becomes damaged or unfit for your use.
Use only the correct tools and equipment that I am authorised and trained to use for the job.
Check that they are in good condition before use and use them safely.
Only adjust and repair any piece of work equipment if I am trained and authorised to do so.
Never modify any equipment which changes the designed use of the equipment.
Assess my capability to move any load before lifting.
Make sure you get help with any heavy or awkward items and follow the correct techniques.
Report all injuries, incidents and near misses to my supervisor.
Seek help immediately and first aid if necessary.
Tell my supervisor if I have any suggestions to prevent injuries in my workplace.
Use your Injury Prevention Handbook to record your suggestion and discuss with your supervisor.