UK Bus Profile
We are one of the largest bus operators in the UK with a fleet of 7,400 vehicles, and operate around a fifth of local bus services. We carry approximately 2.3 million passengers every day. The majority of our operations are in urban areas where the bus is the most effective means of tackling traffic congestion.
The map indicates areas within the UK where First buses operate. The main areas of operation are urban areas such as Aberdeen; Glasgow; Manchester; Bristol, Bath & the West; York; Leeds; Calderdale and Huddersfield; Eastern Counties; Berkshire and Devon and Cornwall. Further details on UK Bus operations can be found on our UK Bus section.
We operate Greyhound UK operating 18 services every day between Swansea and Bristol Airport running via Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport, the University of the West of England and Bristol Bus Station. We also operate Aircoach in and between Belfast, Dublin and Cork.
First works closely with Government, local authorities and stakeholders across our networks to create successful relationships that will realise maximum efficiencies and greater benefits for customers, particularly through reduced journey times.
We have invested £160m in around 1,000 new vehicles between 2011 and 2013, together with a £4m refurbishment for our mid-life vehicles. This incorporates a complete refresh of our interior and exterior designs, including a new livery that establishes greater local identities. We followed this up with a further order for 464 new buses worth £76m in February 2013 for delivery throughout 2013/14, with interior designs taking into account feedback from passengers and employees.
- We are one of the UK's largest bus operators
- We operate over one in five of all local bus services
- We operate in communities across the country including 40 of the largest towns and cities
- Average fleet age is 8.6 years
- Greyhound UK operates 18 services every day between Swansea and Bristol Airport running via Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport, the University of the West of England and Bristol Bus Station
- We also operate some yellow US-style school buses and have a fleet of coaches available for charter