UK Train Profile
The map indicates areas within the UK served by First Rail operating companies. Further details can be found using the operator links below.
We are the UK's largest rail operator with almost a quarter of the market. We are the only operator to run every type of overground rail service in the UK, from high speed inter-city trains and overnight sleepers to local branch lines, regional, commuter and open access services.
We operate four UK Rail franchises (First Capital Connect, First Great Western, First ScotRail, First TransPennine Express) as well as one Open Access Operator (Hull Trains) and Tramlink (for TfL). Our four franchises have received more than 250 awards since 2005, including First TransPennine Express, the current Rail Business Awards Train Operator of the Year.
We carry over 300 million passengers a year, an increase of 40m passengers since 2006/7. Passenger volumes increased by 3.8% in 2011/12.
We employee 13,000 people and have nearly 2,800 rolling stock vehicles, with around 740 additional vehicles introduced to our franchises by FirstGroup. We have put in over £650m capital investment into our franchises since 2006.
We are the only UK public transport operator included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
- First Great Western operates high speed, commuter, regional and branch line services across the South and West of England, the Cotswolds and South Wales.
- First ScotRail provide approximately 95% of passenger train services in Scotland plus sleeper services linking Scotland's major cities with London.
- First Capital Connect provides rail services spanning the heart of the South East, from Brighton to Bedford and King's Cross to King's Lynn.
- First TransPennine Express provides inter-city services between the north west, Yorkshire and the north east of England.
- First Hull Trains provide an open access inter-city train operating between London Kings Cross and Hull.
We continue to develop our proposals for new and renewed passenger rail franchises. We have a balanced portfolio of inter-city, London commuter and regional railways. We will continue to build on our reputation of investment, innovation and customer service.
We are delivering a safe, efficient railway for passengers and we have a record of achieving the targets set by our franchise commitments, providing value for money for the taxpayer.