Message from the Managing Director
Welcome to the First Devon, Cornwall & MidSomerset website. I hope you'll find the site useful and find the information you need. You'll find timetables, maps, service changes, fare information, news and details any special offers is all here.
We operate a fleet of buses and coaches throughout Devon, Cornwall and Central Somerset including Plymouth, Tavistock, Ivybridge and Wembury in Devon, Penzance, St Ives, Truro, Helston, Falmouth, Torpoint and Saltash in Cornwall and Taunton, Bridgwater, Frome and Weston super Mare.
In January 2014 we introduced a new name and look for our buses in Taunton and Bridgwater: Throughout 2014 we'll be giving your local First buses a bit of a makeover, with smart new colours, a stylish new look and a name that means something locally.
And we'll be sprucing up everything to give you a better bus service all round. It will take time, of course, but residents started to see buses in the new colours from the end of January. We have been very happy with the positive response we've had to this new look and name so far.
We are proud to operate the Park and Ride services in Plymouth, serving the George Junction, Milehouse and Coypool, offering frequent journeys to the City Centre. We also operate the Park and Ride service for the Eden Project in Cornwall. In September 2013 we were delighted to be awarded the Cornwall Council contract to operate the Park & Ride services in Truro.
In August 2013 we launched a new service for the Falmouth University and University of Exeter campuses in Falmouth. Operating between the Penryn and Falmouth campuses the U1 offers a 15 minutes Monday to Saturday service. As well as offering staff and students a fast and direct service between the two campuses the U1 also helped alleviate capacity issues on the service 88.
In October 2013 we launched two new routes in Plymouth. Service 6 'The Purple' between the City Centre, Lipson, Efford and Laira. The 6 runs every 15 mins and is brilliant value with all single trips just £1. Across the city the new service 3A provide links between the city centre, Peverell, Honicknowle, West Park and St Budeaux while also giving people the opportunity to connect with service 3 for onward journeys to Devonport and the City Centre. The service runs every 20 minutes during the daytime (Monday - Saturday) with some highly competitive fares.
From September to November 2013 we launched a number of fares initiatives in the Plymouth, South Devon and East Cornwall area:
- 22 September: we significantly reduced the prices and extended areas covered by our day, week and month Plymouth and Plus tickets. Notably the weekly Plymouth ticket was reduced from £15 to £11 and the Plus zone was extended to include Tavistock which enabled customers from that area to save on their travel.
- 7 October: we launched a £1 single fare concession ticket for Plymouth and the surrounding areas. This £1 ticket is available for holders of a concession pass who want to travel before 09:30 or after 23:00 on week days (at these times they would normally have to pay the full adult fare).
- 14 October: we extended the age at which child fares and tickets could be bought to up to and including 18 years of age. Previously child fares and tickets were only available to those aged 5 - 15 years (inclusive).
- 10 November: we made child single and return fares half the adult fare. We also introduced some cheaper day, week and month child tickets offering significant savings.
- 17 November: we introduced child fares and tickets for NUS card holders.
Early in 2013 the First smart phone app was launched in Devon, Cornwall & Somerset. This free app is available for iPhone and Android and has information on next bus, timetables, fares, maps and service updates. To download click here.
Our extensive range of coaches are available for private hire, whether it is a local trip or a tailor made coach holiday throughout Europe we can provide a transport solution for your needs. Call 01872 321130 for a quote and to discuss your needs.
Thanks for visiting our website. I hope you find the information useful.
Alex Carter, Director, First Devon, Cornwall & Central Somerset