Greater Manchester is a brilliant place to study and the bus is the best way to get around…
- from early in the morning until around midnight on many services
- not just in the city centres - buses run all across Greater Manchester to Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Ashton and Hyde
- our buses run so often in the centre you might not need a timetable; but you can find them all on our website or download our travel app for live bus times
- plus, you can make the most of free Wi-Fi on board and stay connected as you travel.
Find out the best places to go as a new student in Greater Manchester - as recommended by current university students. Our Manchester & Salford bus map and our full range of maps will help you plan how to get there!
Our First student tickets are available for the academic year, a term or for a month at a time. You just need a current student photo ID card. (Not an NUS card.) Your ID can be for any college or university in Greater Manchester but the name should match the name on the ticket and your photo must be a good likeness to the user.
Get your ticket direct to your mobile...
How does it work?
- Download the App to your phone.
- Choose Greater Manchester as your area.
- Choose student and select the mTicket that suits you.
- Set up an account and pay by credit / debit card Apple Pay, Google Pay or Pingit.
- Activate your ticket before you get on the bus.(You don't need internet access to activate or use your ticket.)
- Show the driver the ticket on your phone, along with your student photo ID
Also available for college and sixth form students (aged 16- 18):
Just register and upload a selfie on the First mTickets app
What to do if your ticket is lost or stolen
*Calls are charged at a local rate from BT landlines. Costs from mobiles will be higher. Lines open Mon-Fri 0900-1700hrs