Young people's fares frozen or reduced in annual review
First West Yorkshire has announced changes to some fares from Sunday 27 October including the reduction of day & week mobile tickets for young people (under 19) and freezing of the most-used young people tickets.
Most adult single, day and weekly ticket fares will increase to reflect continued rising costs of investment, fuel and the impact of congestion. However, most people who switch to the equivalent mobile ticket e.g. a week, will see no increase in the cost of their bus travel. The bus operator is therefore encouraging customers who purchase with cash to switch to purchasing tickets in advance, via the First Bus app, which continues to offer the best value and helps speed up bus journey times - being 4 times faster to board than cash. The First Bus App now has journey planning, reliable real time information and the cheapest ticket options available – rated as the best bus app on the iOS platform of all the major, national bus operators.
As part of this year’s fares review, First West Yorkshire is continuing to provide simpler travel offers with a new £2 flat fare single available on mTickets for travel anywhere across West Yorkshire. This new ticket complements the fare ticket range now available for customers:
1. Infrequent Travellers – £2 flat fare single on mobile.
2. Frequent Travellers – Month ticket on mobile - £1.27 per trip in Huddersfield/Halifax - £1.43 per trip in Leeds or even better value paying by direct debit - £1.15 per trip in Huddersfield/Halifax and £1.34 in Leeds.
3. Group Travel – 5 travel for £6.00* at a weekend and £8.75* off-peak during the week, continue to offer outstanding value for leisure passengers and families travelling together.* prices available via the First Bus App. Please note that the weekend group ticket will cost £7.00 on-bus and the weekday group ticket will cost £9.00 on-bus.
Martin Hirst, Commercial Director, at First West Yorkshire, said: “As part of this review, we have been keen to ensure we do what we can to support the West Yorkshire Bus Alliance objective of improving affordability for young people and we’re pleased to have frozen or reduced travel cost for this group.
“Where increases have been necessary, we have worked hard to keep them to a minimum, but some changes are necessary to reflect rising costs in the business. We continue to urge customers who can to switch to purchasing tickets via our mTickets app to do so, as this will offer the most competitive price and will help speed up bus journey times.
- The overall changes will typically mean 20p on most single fares but for many there will be better value in the tickets described above
- Students will continue to benefit from special prices on singles, months, terms and annual products
- Under 19’s will have no increase on their day or week tickets on bus and a 10p reduction on mobile