Changes to Ipswich Services 60|61 and 75|76|77|X7 from 18th November 2018
From 18th November we’re making changes to some of the times and routes of our buses around Ipswich. These changes are based on feedback from passengers, local stakeholders and our local driving team as well as our ongoing analysis of where and when people use the bus.
Details of the changes can be found below, along with PDF copies of the new timetables (at the bottom of the page), complete with route maps and ticket information.
Printed copies will be available from our Ipswich Travel Shop in Old Cattle Market Bus Station and all of our usual outlets around two to three weeks before the new services begin.
Ipswich Town Centre – Nacton Road – Greenwich & Gainsborough
Service 61 (to Greenwich) will be renumbered 60A and evening buses will be renumbered 60E.
Buses that end in Gainsborough (60) will now operate a one-way loop via Clapgate Lane, Hossack Road, Shannon Road and Reynolds Road. Buses will no longer serve Mildmay Road and Boyton Road due to very small numbers of passengers using the service in these places.
Buses that end in Greenwich (60A) will end their journeys at the bus stop on Holbrook Road and will no longer operate the loop around Sandyhill Lane and Robeck Road.
These changes to the route will allow all buses extra time to complete their journeys and help them to arrive at the major stops along the route on time when the traffic is heavy.
Ipswich – The Trimleys – Felixstowe
After a nine-month period of detailed analysis of the current service, we will be making some significant changes to our buses between Ipswich and Felixstowe. These are designed to offer a simpler, more attractive service for the majority of our passengers that is easier to understand and more resistant to increasing traffic issues in and around Ipswich.
• There will be three buses per hour between Ipswich and Felixstowe travelling via The Trimleys and Walton on Monday to Saturday daytimes. These will operate every 20 minutes between Ipswich town centre and Felixstowe town centre. From there, one bus per hour will continue to & from Grange Farm (75), Old Felixstowe (76) and Landguard Fort (77).
• All buses will now follow the same route out of Ipswich, travelling via Spring Road, Heath Road (for Ipswich Hospital), Warren Heath (Murrills Road) and Trinity Park. This will provide a new link between Old Felixstowe and Landguard Fort/Felixstowe Seafront and Ipswich Hospital.
Unfortunately, due to frequent traffic congestion on the way into and out of the town centre, and very small numbers of passengers using the service in these areas, buses will no longer serve Bishops Hill, Felixstowe Road, Cobham Road, Lindbergh Road, Nacton Road or John Lewis.
• For travel to and from Ipswich Hospital, buses will now use the stops on Heath Road from where there are pedestrian crossings allowing easy access to and from different parts of the Hospital. This is due to ongoing issues of congestion in the bus turning area outside the Garrett Anderson Centre at Ipswich Hospital and is designed to help us keep to time more easily when the traffic is heavy.
• In response to frequent requests, we are delighted to be introducing an X7 fast bus service between Ipswich and Felixstowe that will operate up to hourly throughout the day Monday to Saturday, with extra buses at peak times. These buses will operate from Ipswich Old Cattle Market Bus Station, calling at Princes Street & Ipswich Rail Station before travelling non-stop via the A14.
In Felixstowe, buses will call in the town centre and then operate the loop around Grange Farm that is also covered by service 75 buses. This will provide a bus up to every 30 minutes from Grange Farm to Felixstowe and then on to Ipswich.
• Buses to Old Felixstowe (76) will operate a simplified loop via Colneis Road, Rosemary Avenue, Cliff Road and Western Avenue. Buses will no longer serve Church Road and Gosford Way due to very small numbers of passengers using the service in these areas and issues with parked cars sometimes causing extensive delays.