Making school travel safe
With children returning to school we have taken additional measures to ensure that they can return safely via First Bus.
We have implemented a daily enhanced cleaning regime across our bus fleet with additional focus on all hand and grab rails. More information can be found on our dedicated COVID web page, click here.
We are still operating our normal services with restricted seating capacity of 50%. We have therefore added some additional buses to our busiest school routes and these services are designed exclusively for school use (route number starts with S). On these dedicated services the 50% reduced capacity does not apply – wherever possible you should sit with your school ‘bubble’.
Please buy your ticket in advance via the First Bus app. Parents can purchase the ticket and then send the ticket to their child’s phone using Ticket Gifting
Dedicated school bus services (route number starts with S)
- The 50% reduced capacity does not apply, the majority of seat are available
- Anyone aged over 11 should wear a face covering on a dedicated school bus service (unless your child is exempt)
- Reduced capacities don’t apply – but wherever possible please sit with your school ‘bubble’
Public bus services
- Reduced capacity with 50% of seats available
- It’s mandatory for anyone aged over 11 to wear a face covering on a public bus service in (unless your child is exempt)
- You should only sit with a member of your own household e.g. a brother or sister. Sorry, you’re not able to sit with your mates
You can see the times for these services in our timetables (available from 26 August) – the services where this will apply are:
Haywood Academy, St. Margaret Ward, Ormiston Horizon Academy
Discovery Academy, St Peter’s Academy
St Joseph’s, Trentham Academy
|S32||Painsley Catholic College, Cheadle High School|
Stoke City Council are providing a number of contracted services to get students to/from school. These services are not operated by First, but we are including here to assist you with planning. For further information on these services, please contact your school/college directly.
Closed door school buses – operating until October half term subject to demand
These will be only available to students attending the relevant school who have purchased a SMART pass via their school. Parents/pupils should contact their school for further details.
With effect from Wednesday 2nd September:
- Abbey Hulton – Birches Head – Sneyd Green – Norton – Smallthorne – St. Margaret Ward Academy (operated by Stanton’s of Stoke)
- Bentilee – Weston Coyney – Meir – Normacot – St. Thomas More Academy (operated by Scraggs)
With effect from Thursday 3rd September:
- Dresden – Normacot – Meir- Weston Coyney – Parkhall – Discovery Academy (operated by Copelands)
With effect from Monday 7th September:
- Weston Coyney – Longton – Fenton – Ormiston Sir Stanley Matthews Academy (operated by Copelands)
- Bentilee – Adderley Green – Meir – Normacot – Trentham – St. Joseph’s College (operated by Scraggs)
- Bucknall – Cobridge – Etruria – Shelton – Stoke – St. Joseph’s College (TBC; operator TBC)
- Bentilee – City Centre – St. Peter’s Academy (operated by Copelands)
- Weston Coyney – Saxonfields - Longton – Fenton – St. Peter’s Academy (operated by Copelands)
We also have the following closed door college buses
With effect from Thursday 3rd September:
Sixth Form College and Stoke-on-Trent College Cauldon Campus – to support services 9, 14, 21, 23, 25
- Departure from City Centre Bus Station, Stand V at 0745, 0820, 1230
- Departures from Stoke Church Street, Stop N at 0800, 0835
- Pick up opposite Sixth Form College at 1215, 1610, 1645 to Hanley (City Centre) – 5 mins later from o/s Cauldon Campus, College Road
- Pick up from opposite Cauldon Campus, College Road to Stoke town centre at 1625
Stoke-on-Trent College (Burslem College ) and City College, Burslem – to support service 3/3A
- Depart from City Centre Bus Station, Stand H at 0805
- Return to City Centre from Swan Bank, Burslem at 1615
- Depart from Tunstall High Street, junction with Woodlands St at 0830
- Return to Tunstall High Street from Wedgwood Street, Burslem at 1540
With effect from Thursday 17 September;
- Depart from Longton at 07:29
- return to Longton from Newcastle at 15:55
All valid passes accepted on these buses, which are for students only.
Potteries bus routes: Plan your journey more effectively and in advance
Take a look at our route maps to see exactly where your journey can take you
Our service operating between Hanley, Cheadle and Uttoxeter.
We operate a number of frequent services to your local hospitals.