First Cymru Outlines Details of Festive Bus Services
- For the first time, X10 between Swansea and Cardiff will run on Boxing Day when no trains are operating
- Increased capacity Park & Ride Services on Saturdays and Sundays in the run up to Christmas to carry more shoppers (and presents!)
- Most popular Swansea routes will be operational on Boxing Day
- Company advises passengers to check special timetables before travelling
Bus operator First Cymru has outlined the details of its festive services for 2018. The company is planning to run as many services as it can over the festive period. Alongside some of its most popular Swansea services, on Boxing Day First will also run the X10 service between Swansea to Cardiff via Designer Outlet Bridgend, giving people the opportunity to travel to Cardiff (and bag some bargains during the Boxing Day sales) when there are no trains running.
The Boxing Day services will enable footy supporters to leave their car and travel by bus to the Liberty Stadium for the the 3pm kick-off match at between Swansea City and Aston Villa, or travel to at Morriston or Singleton Hospital to visit friends or relatives over the Christmas period.
In sharing the information about festive bus services with users early, the company hopes that people will be able to plan their travel arrangements around Christmas and New Year with greater ease. To make things easier for people to plan their journeys it has published all festive service information on its website firstgroup.com/cymru from where timetables can be downloaded. The company has also made timetable booklets available at the bus stations.
Talking about the festive bus provision, Andrew Sherrington, managing director of First Cymru said: “Christmas is an exciting time of the year for our customers. For a bus company, trying to plan Christmas services can be a bit tricky as you need to understand how many people are likely to be travelling compared those who simply will take time off from work for a well-deserved break and travel as little as possible but simply stay at home and put their feet up.
“This year we’ll be running many services though, including some services on Boxing Day in Swansea, and linking Swansea with Cardiff at a time when there are no trains running. These services will mostly have special timetables – reflecting the fact that we’re not expecting to see the normal volumes of people out and about – but nonetheless, we’ll be doing what we can to provide links to key destinations.”
“We hope that people will take the opportunity to travel by bus over the festive period. There are many advantages to doing so: you can avoid car parking nightmares, and similarly if you want to you can enjoy a drink while you’re out without needing to worry about being over the limit yourself.”
“We’ve got this information out now to help people plan their travel arrangements over the festive period. Lastly I also wanted to say a big thanks to our drivers for their service over the past year and helping to get customers from a to b over the Christmas period.”
Run up to Christmas Eve
In the run up to Christmas all buses will operate normal timetables until Christmas Eve.
Additional Park & Ride Services will be running in Swansea for shoppers:
- Service 501 (from Landore) will run every 10 minutes for most of the day on Saturdays 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd December 2018
- Service 502 (from Fabian Way) will remain at every 15 minutes but will have larger capacity vehicles.
- These services will also run every 15 minutes on Sundays 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd December 2018.
Buses will operate normal school holiday timetables, although buses in all areas will stop running at around 6pm so drivers can spend the evening with family and or friends.
All services are suspended.
- Service X10 will operate four journeys in each direction between Swansea Bus Station to Cardiff Customhouse St. via Bridgend Designer Outlet and Cardiff Bay.
- Swansea services 20, 25, 33 or 111 will run up to hourly (apart from lunchtime journeys) during daytime (approximately 9am until 6pm).
- Swansea service 4 will operate every 20 minutes between Morriston Hospital, bus station and the Fabian Way Park & Ride site.
- Note: on Boxing Day, Park and Ride services will be incorporated into special service 4.
- All other services are suspended.
Thursday 27th and Friday 28th December
Saturday timetables will apply to, exception for council-supported services 2B, 4, 15, 16 and 30 as outlined below:
- Service 2B, operating at 0725 between Oystermouth to Oystermouth via Thistleboon.
- Service 4 starting at 0600 from Bus Station to Morriston Hospital. Note also that all overnight service 4A journeys will be suspended.
- Service 15 will operate its Monday-to-Friday timetable from Bus Station to Waunarlwydd via Uplands, Glanmor and Cockett.
- Service 16 will run a 0645am service from Cockett to Bus Station, and at 0710am from Bus Station to Gorseinon.
- Service 30 will operate its Monday-to-Friday timetable from Bus Station to Trallwn (Rhydyfelin) via Bonymaen.
Saturday 29th December
Normal Saturday timetables with services 2B, 4, 15, 16 and 30 also operating the same timetable as on 27/28 December.
Sunday 30th December
Normal Sunday timetables where applicable.
New Year’s Eve, Monday 31st December
On New Year’s Eve buses will operate normal Saturday timetables, although they’ll stop running at around 6pm.
New Year’s Day, Tuesday 1st January 2019
There will be no buses on New Year’s Day.
Wednesday 2nd January 2019
Normal School Holiday timetables resume.
Links to timetables:
- List of last journeys of First Cymru Services on 24th December (Christmas Eve) and 31st December (New Year’s Eve)